Mile Mark: 0.30
Date Built: ca. 1910
Published Photos: EBT 150, 166; AEBT 95
This two stall enginehouse was built sometime in the 1910's and replaced a two stall frame building at or near the same location. It is constructed of contoured block and has a frame roof. It replaced a two stall frame enginehouse at the same location. It is similar in construction to the Robertsdale Station, the RI&C Offices and the Robertsdale Company Post Office. Two locomotives, usually standard gauge, were stationed here to handle switching jobs in the yard and interchange with the PRR. One was usually being overhauled or serviced while the other handled switching duties. The enginehouse was also able to accomodate narrow gauge locomotives.
The east stall is standard three rail track while there is a half draw at the approach to the west stall allowing four rail track with the narrow gauge centerline the same as the standard gauge centerline (a full draw would transfer the extra rail from one side of the track to the other.) The building is equipped with pits under both tracks and a transverse drop pit like the Rockhill Locomotive Shop, but not a transverse jack.
The last two standard gauge 0-6-0 switchers, #3 and #6, stood in the enginehouse in their respective stalls. #6 occupied the west stall while #3 occupied the east one. In 1975, #6 was sold to the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Indiana. The roof on the building deteriorated badly by the 1980's and the elements began to damage #3. A grant from America's Industrial Heritage Project provided money to secure the building and replace the roof in January 1993. At that time the building was also secured against vandals with locks and more esthesia window coverings. #3 is still inside today.
The Mount Union Connecting Railroad cleared and rehabilitated both leads to the enginehouse as well as the enginehouse itself to store their switcher in #6's stall. The building has been provided with water and power service and the wood doors and gables have been painted in an appropriate, if bright, color scheme in 2000.
HAER info at the Library of Congess site>
Back to Merchandise Transfer
|Click on an image to see larger version||
Forward to Mount Union Ash Pit
|Up to Mount Union Yards|
|Up to EBT: Mount Union to Shirleysburg|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|