Mile Mark: 11.00
Date Built: pre-1894
Published Photos: EBT 195
Also see the Locomotive Shop in the EBT Virtual Shops Tour.
The Service Bays in 1894 were about half their length and considered to be part of the Machine Shop. Sometime between 1904 and 1911, likely late in that period, they were doubled in length and the Boiler Shop added to them. At that time they were designated the Locomotive Shop. Also at that time there appears to have been a large lean-to section off the west side under an extended gable. That portion was later removed. The two tracks split to either side of the newly constructed Lumber Shed. When the Car Shop was expanded again in 1917, the east Service Bay Track was realigned to merge with the west track to move it out of the way of that expansion.
They were the site of heavy locomotive repairs that could not be done in the Roundhouse. The west track was for scheduled complete overhauls and the east was for emergency repairs on locomotives in service.
The Service Bays are in reasonably good shape today.
On the EBT Most Endangered List
HAER info at the Library of Congess site> (With Machine Shop info)
Back to Boiler Shop
|Click on an image to see larger version||
Forward to Paint Shop
|Up to Rockhill Yards|
|Up to Shirleysburg to Rockhill Furnace|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|