Mile Mark: 11.00
Date Built: 1933
Published Photos: EBT 82
Also see the Paint Shop in the EBT Virtual Shops Tour.
The first Paint Shop, built prior to 1894, was on the site of the current turntable lead between the Farm House and the current Paint Shop. originally designated the Car House. By 1904 a new car house had been constructed and the name was changed. That building burned to the ground with locomotive #4 inside on September 8, 1908. The nearby Car Shop (also referred to as the Boiler Shop) also burned. A new, but also wood frame, Paint Shop was built in 1908 on the site, but slightly further north of the current shop. A bus garage was added to the building in 1929. On July 8, 1933 the Bus Garage and Paint Shop burned again. In 1933 the present Paint Shop was built.
As it's name indicates, this is where cars and locomotives were painted after being built or serviced.
The building has been used in recent years to house the small M-4 and M-6 switchers, the unfinished Aughwick coach and the M-3 inspection car. In November 2004 the Friends of the East Broad Top negotiated a lease of this building from the East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company, with the intention of making it a restoration shop for FEBT use. During late 2004 and early 2005 Friends work crews labored to lear out years of debris, remove the deteriorated west windows and close up those windows. In May of 2005 a week ling work session was held to completely clear out the interior of the building, relay the track level and pour a new slab floor. The new floor came up to the tops of the rail unlike the original that come up to the bottom of the rails. The new arrangement made it much easier to transport equipment around the shop. Through 2005 and 2006 the building was equipped with new power outlets, air lines, power equipment, storage shelving and work surfaces. The original workbenches and storage areas were retained. In May 2006 the long detriorated concrete pad outside the south entrance of the building was removed, the track relayed and, like the interior, a new pad poured up to the tops of the rails. This pad is larger than the original and during the excavation for its footers, the foundation walls of previous paint shops were found, along with underground steam lines. The retaining wall along the creek, which was oue foundation for the previous Paint Shop was used as the border for two sides of the new pad.
HAER info at the Library of Congess site>
Back to Locomotive Shop
|Click on an image to see larger version||
Forward to Yard Office/Storage Sheds
|Up to Rockhill Yards|
|Up to Shirleysburg to Rockhill Furnace|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|