Mile Mark: 30.00
Date Built: 1830's
Published Photos: EBT 86, 188; AEBT 16, 74, 75, 79
Published Plans: AEBT 84-85
Mine No. 1 was the first mine to produce coal when the railroad arrived in 1874. It was purchased from William Houck who had operated then closed the mine. No. 1 was a drift mine servicing the lower Fulton seam. It was the leading producer in the early years, but was superseded by No. 5, No. 6, and No. 9. It was operated 1872-90, 1911-25 and 1928-51 and produced more than 2,204,871 tons of coal.
The minehead was reportedly dynamited after the end of service and is difficult to find today, though there is still an opening. The tipple deteriorated until it was removed in the late 70's or early 80's. The tipple site is marked by a long pile of boney on the west side of the tracks just south of the Robertsdale Station.
Back to Robertsdale Ash Pit
|Click on an image to see larger version||
Forward to RI&C Fan House
|Up to Robertsdale Yard|
|Up to EBT: Cooks to Alvan|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|