Mile Mark: 8.20
Date Built: ca. 1900
Published Photos: AEBT 39
This is the site of the original 1873 bridge #4. The bridge was undamaged by the flood of 1889. The bridge was renumbered to #3 by 1917.
The current deck steel plate girder bridge was built about 1900. It rests on two stone abutments, which likely predate the current bridge. The south one is covered by a layer of concrete and both have a concrete cap supporting the bridge. The north one sports a built-in culvert for the road ditch. Its single 18' span crosses Runk Road (Street Atlas USA improperly calls it Ronk Road). It is similar in design to Shirleysburg Bridge and Robertsdale Wye Bridge. It is the shortest common carrier era bridge on the line.
It is easily accessible by driving on Runk Road west from US 522 and parking at the pull off just past the railroad bridge. The Runk Road bridge over Aughwick Creek is a favorite photo location.
Link to MyTopo map of this feature
Back to Douglas Summit
|Click on an image to see larger version||
Forward to Long Fill
|Up to Shirleysburg to Rockhill Furnace|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|