Building: Machine Shop
Machine Power: belt
HAER Map Key: R
Date Built: unknown
Serail Number: unknown
This lathe appears to be older than most of the other machines in the shops due to the decorative embellshments on its legs. As such it likely dates from the 1860's or 1870's and was purchased used by the EBT.
As with other lathes, this one is used to turn a workpiece around its long axis and cut away material in a circular pattern around that axis. Laths are useful for making parts that have curcular cross sections like axles, shafts and pins.
This machine was probably made by the J. G. Wheeler and Co., Worchester, MA.
Back to Grinding Wheel
|Click on an image to see larger version|
Forward to Engine Lathe
|Up to Machine Shop.|
|Up to South Wings.|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|